Confirmed Merchants for the Fall Crown Tournament:
- Costume Ladies – Clothing
- Gingee Girls – Embroidered Linens and Finery
- Halden Creations – Period accurate jewelry designs
- Hammer, Forge, & File, Inc – Pottery
- Hoard Silver – Fine handmade silver jewelry
- K&K Woodworks – Durable travel furniture, fine desk accessories, wooden puzzles and more.
- Munition Grade Arms – Rattan
- Pozar Leather – Handmade leather goods
- Renaissance Reflections – Hats, veils, walking sticks
- Sarafina’s Stitchery – Notions
- Spicewell’s – Spices, salt cellars, mortars & pestles, hard to find cookery ingredients
- Viking Archery – Archery supplies only (no bows, no arrows)
If you are thinking of setting up a merchant booth at Crown Tourney, please read the following:
Our event location, the Illini Union Hall, has strict regulations about the exchange of money for independent vendors. These rules are determined by the State of Illinois and the building officials are not allowed to make exceptions. The most important issue, as far as the Illini Union is concerned, is to ensure that no sales will compete with the Union bookstore onsite. They also require a 15% cut of all sales at the event. While we realize that this situation is far from ideal, the Illini Union is still our best option for a remotely affordable hotel site for events in our area. We recognize that merchanting is one of the highlights of any SCA event, and appreciate your understanding and cooperation to make the most of this situation.
In order to operate a merchant’s booth at Maidens:
- Contact our Merchant Liason, Caitriona MacDhonnachaidh (mka Kat Dyer) at email@example.com or 618.830.2342, with the following information BY SEPTEMBER 20:
- Your name & the name of your business
- Your phone number, email, other contact information if applicable
- A general description of the items you typically sell (NOT an inventory. I.e., costumes, jewelry, etc.)
- Preferred space requirements: table, corner booth, etc.
- To avoid potential conflict with the Illii Union bookstore, we ask that you please do not bring any books to sell at this event.
- After the event, when you have calculated your total sales for that day, send us a check for 15% by NOVEMBER 15 to the SCA, Shire of Wurm Wald. We are expected to add that amount to the fees we will pay the University of Illinois after the event. The 15% cut you pay will be based on your word of honor. The university will not be watching how much you are selling, nor will they contact you if they receive nothing. Again, this is based on your word of honor.
On the bright side:
- Merchants not only do not have to pay a Merchant fee, they are exempted from site fees, as well.
- Merchants will be allowed to pull their vehicles up closer to the door nearest the Merchant Room for easier drop-off. When you arrive at the site, speak to the gentles who are directing parking for directions on the best route.
- An advantage of the Illini Union site is additional traffic from the non-SCA university populace, which means a wider market for sales. Merchants at previous events have sold items to students, staff, faculty, and visitors to the university who were attracted to the event by all the people in pretty costumes and awesome stuff going on. There is definitely a market here for affordable impulse purchases that would be of interest to non-SCA folk as well as our established populace.
Again, we appreciate your patience and understanding, and look forward to working with you at Crown Tourney. For more information, please contact Caitriona MacDhonnachaidh (mka Kat Dyer) at firstname.lastname@example.org or 618.830.2342, or visit the Illini Union website at http://union.illinois.edu/.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.